Criminal Defense Lawyer in Galesburg IL
Defending Your Rights & Liberties In Criminal Cases
Statham & Long is a criminal defense lawyer in Galesburg IL. We're committed to defending your rights & liberties in criminal cases. The team at Statham & Long can help you avoid the undesirable consequences that can come from criminal cases, and we'll work to protect your rights and liberties. Click the button below to get started with our team.
How Do I Know If I Need A Criminal Defense Lawyer?
A criminal defense attorney can be useful for those charged with a crime and those who have not been. Your attorney can help you assess charges, define available options, and choose the best route moving forward. He will also help you avoid common pitfalls and instances where your rights are threatened, as well as negotiate with the prosecution to reduce or dismiss charges.
Before you hire an attorney, there are questions you should ask:
- Where did you attend law school? When did you graduate?
- How long have you been practicing criminal law?
- How often do you appear in the courthouse where my case will be handled?
- Do you frequently negotiate plea agreements with the prosecutors office? How would you describe your relationship with the prosecutors office?
- How often do your clients go to trial?
- How familiar are you with the charges against me? What percentage of your practice is in representing clients with similar charges?
- Do you belong to any bar associations or other professional organizations? If so, which ones?
Other relevant questions to ask are:
- What are my legal options? Would you recommend a guilty plea, a plea agreement, or a trial?
- What aspects of my case work in my favor?
- What potential problems do you foresee with my case?
- What can I expect at the different stages of the process, including arraignment, filing of motions, motions hearing, disposition, and trial?
What Paperwork Will I Need To Give my Attorney?
As you meet with your attorney, you'll likely need to bring any documents you received from the court showing your charges and next court appearance date, plus:
- Your bail papers
- If your property was searched, any paperwork the police gave you
- A copy of the police report if possible
Criminal Defense Lawyer Duties & Responsibilities
Your criminal defense attorney will help you assess your case, collect information, and will represent you in court. He will also inform you of your rights and work to defend and protect them should your case go to trial. Your defense lawyer can also help negotiate charges if they've built a network and working relationship with the judge and prosecution.
The job of a criminal defense lawyer is to help enforce safeguards to protect his client's rights, even if that client has received a criminal charge.
- The defense lawyer presents evidence to rebut the prosecutor's arguments and challenges assertions made by the prosecutor to ensure that sufficient proof is presented.
- The defense lawyer challenges procedural errors and may seek to have charges dismissed because of unreliable evidence or testimony.
- The defense lawyer informs the defendant of his rights and defends those rights to ensure they have not been violated.
Criminal Defense Lawyer Vs Public Defender
A public defender is appointed to defendants who cannot afford to hire a private lawyer and who requests one to be appointed. Typically, public defenders are familiar with criminal cases and work with prosecutors on a daily basis, which may give them an advantage in negotiating charges and pushing plea agreements through. The downside is they are often overworked and underpaid.
A private criminal defense lawyer usually does not have nearly as many cases as public defenders. This allows them to have more one on one time with clients. Our team will work closely with you, helping you navigate each step of the trial process.
Speak with the experts at Statham & Long as soon as possible to determine the best path forward!
Criminal Defense Lawyer in Galesburg IL
Statham & Long, LLC
117 E Main St #101, Galesburg, IL 61401